Bookmarked Thoughts is a weekly meme presenting my thoughts on a specific topic or image. If you would like to join in please let me know in the comments below.
Winter is the best time of year to cozy up with a good book, blanket and hot mug of tea. It is the time for me to cuddle up on the couch with my dog Rider and forget about the world for an afternoon. There are definitely books that I prefer reading in the winter and those I’d rather read in the summer, though it’s often only after I’ve read a book that I’ll know. Also I tend to read whatever comes my way and it’s only afterwards that I think I maybe should have waited to read a certain book.
In the winter I like to read longer books, especially those that are very atmospheric like Libba Bray’s Gemma Doyle trilogy or Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz (not that I read any of them in the winter). Summer is the time for quick, action packed books that don’t require much thought or long series that I need time to read. Topic matter also plays a role. In winter I don’t mind reading darker books, while in the summer I want something that I can read in a couple of hours and not dwell on.
Over winter break I plan on reading:
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing Vol. 2 by M.T. Anderson
- Non – fiction books on the history of film
- Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
- How to Steal a Dragon’s Sword by Cressida Cowell (I need at least one light book)
- And at least one other book that’s sitting in my room