Bookmarked Thoughts is a weekly meme presenting my thoughts on a specific topic or image. If you would like to join in please let me know in the comments below.
Once Upon a Time
I am completely obsessed with ABC’s Once Upon a Time. I’ve never gotten emotionally attached to a TV show before and I love this show WAAAY to much. So because I cannot keep my feelings to myself, I feel that it is my duty as a fan to get everyone to love this show. Here are 10 reasons why OUAT is the best TV EVER:
- Its all about twisted fairy tales. Who doesn’t love twisted fairy tales? Imagine all your favourite fairy tale characters living together in a magical land. You can’t get any more awesome then that! Now you’re probably thinking, there’s about a million other twisted fairy tales out there, why should this one be any better than the rest? Well, Once manages to keep the essence of each story and turns the characters into real people. You can’t hope for anything better than that.
- The characters are not stereotypical. Once has princess who save their princess, villains who save heroes and characters who are just normal people. Even the character who is the most goody-goody does bad things and makes mistakes and the most evil of characters has some justification. That is not to say that all the evil is excused, for some characters are bad, but there is always a why. None of the women are weak and each are strong in their own way.
- The characters are well developed. Not a single character, apart from those that play very small roles, are one dimensional. Each character progresses over time and makes decisions in the present based on the past. Some have so many layers to them it takes multiple episodes to get a clear picture of who they are (I’m looking at you Hook 😉 )
- The story line is brilliant. Every episode connects to something that has taken place previously and it never gets confusing. There are tons of characters and tons of story lines and somehow Once manages to keep it all from becoming one big mess. There is a ton of foreshadowing and scenes are looked at from multiple angles so you can never be sure of anything
- The romance isn’t just there to boost ratings. In a lot of TV shows I look at couples and think ‘in real life, those two people would never end up together” but with Once every relationship is believable and has depth. It isn’t just about two people who fall in love, its about two people who fall in love despite the odds and who actually bring out the best in each other.
- Each episode is a story of its own. I’m not saying that you can watch them out of order, but each episode brings something new to the table. Each is its own mini-story with a conflict that ends with a perfect cliffhanger. Because after finishing, you need the next episode!
- It really makes you think. I’m tired of shows where its just the characters lives and everything gets explained. With Once you are constantly trying to guess what is going to happen next. Things will be hinted at and left for you to put together until they get explained later on.
- The dialogue is perfection. If someone gave me a random excerpt from any episode I’d probably be able to guess who was saying what. Every character has their own unique voice and the dialogue flows naturally.
- It’s funny. You will laugh multiple times per episode guaranteed
- It doesn’t feel like a TV show. If fairy tale characters existed and got stuck in the United States, Once is exactly what would happen. And if you can’t believe in all the magic, you get to a point where you are watching an episode in someone’s life.
Inspired by Kristen Evey’s Post which discusses how watching OUAT is beneficial to writers and is something you should definitely check out!