Banning books is the stupidest thing ever. Books = knowledge and in today’s society it is impossible to censor information, so why ban books? Here are 5 reasons why I don’t agree with banning books:
- It’s more likely to get people to read the book. Banned books have a way of become super popular because everyone wants to see what the fuss is about. Also, reverse psychology works. If you tell someone not to do something, they’re likely to do it.
- It’s pointless. You can’t protect your kids from the evil in the world because they’ll find out some way.
- It doesn’t help anyone. Wouldn’t you rather find out about something through a book, which is safe, then firsthand? Books give you the ability to experience things at a safe distance, instead of leaving you to figure them out for yourselves.
- It’s just a way for people to control you. By limiting what books you have access to, they are limiting you knowledge as well and essentially controlling what you know and when you learn it.
- It shows how immature society is. What’s wrong with reading about sex and profanity? About being homosexual or someone who is questioning religion? Why can’t we face these subjects head on with maturity, instead of hiding it away because we can’t handle it?
Here is a list of the books banned in 2012/2013:
Here are the top ten banned books in each your from 2001-2012:
Here are the banned books that shaped America:
What do you think about banning books? Let me know in the comments section below.